Friday, October 21, 2011

Interview with Dr. Jack Bregman



Dr. Jack Bregman opened the first Bregman Vet Group location in 1970, at the Midbrook Animal Hospital on Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. 41 years later, Dr. Bregman has expanded his practice to four locations with his two sons, Dr. Eric Bregman and Dr. Allan Bregman,
We sat down with the doctor to ask him a few questions. Please view the interview below:

Interviewer: Good morning, Jack. Where are you originally from?
drJackBregmanDr. Jack Bregman: I’m from Brooklyn, NY – born and raised my whole life.

Interviewer: Where did you receive your degree in veterinary medicine?
Dr. Jack Bregman: I received my degree In Philadelphia at the University of Pennsylvania. I also have a degree in Pharmacy from Columbia University

Interviewer: When did you first start the Bregman Vet Group?
Dr. Jack Bregman: I opened the first hospital in 1970. That was Midbrook Animal Hospital, which is still here today.

Interviewer: What made you want to start your own practice?
Dr. Jack Bregman: Well, I had worked for a couple of years and felt that it was time to move on to my own office. I worked at a hospital in Bellmore, NY and felt I gained the experience and knowledge needed to start my own practice. I also enjoy being my own boss, so opening my own practice seemed like a great idea.

Interviewer: It definitely turned out to be a great idea! Which Bregman Vet Group location do you mainly work out of?
Dr. Jack Bregman: I mainly work out of Midbrook Animal Hospital on Coney Island Ave in Brooklyn.

Interviewer: When did you first know you wanted to be a veterinarian?
Dr. Jack Bregman: I never wanted to do anything else. Since I was a little kid that’s all I wanted to do. I have a strong bond and love for all animals.

Interviewer: Have you ever worked at any other Veterinarian Offices before starting your own?
Dr. Jack Bregman: Yes, just at the office in Bellmore. I was the 2nd veterinarian there and got all my training in surgery and medicine under a great veterinarian. I felt like I received very good training there. It was such a great experience!

Interviewer: How many pets do you have?
Dr. Jack Bregman: I have 3 cats, 1 dog, 2 horses and 1 mule. We keep the horses and mule on our farm upstate. We used to breed and race horses. At one time, I had between 30-40 horses.

Interviewer: Wow! That sounds like a great experience. Out of all the experiences you’ve had practicing veterinary medicine, which is your most memorable?
Dr. Jack Bregman: Well I can tell you one of the strangest experiences I’ve had. For 20 years I was the Veterinarian for the city of New York and I received a bizarre phone call one day. There were police horses eating in their stable and one of the horses bit the other horse for trying to eat its food. It just so happens that the horse bit the other horse in the tongue. The horse looked like it was in very bad shape by the time I arrived. I sedated the horse and sewed the horses tongue back together. I checked back 2 weeks later and it was all healed. I never expected that to happen. That was about 40 years ago.
Another story is from more recently. I had an instance where a little dog got attacked by a number of Pitbulls. The owners brought the dog in and this small animal was in critical condition. Its intestines and muscles were damaged extensively. After I completed surgery and sewed the dog up, he healed beautifully. I always say the animals make us Veterinarians look good. They heal much easier than humans.
Each and every day I get to experience memorable moments by building close relationships with my patients. It’s truly amazing.  
Over the years, I’ve had hundreds of instances and encounters with interesting animals and individuals. I’ve worked on animals like boa constrictors to lion cubs and have built strong relationships with each of my patients.
I am very fortunate that I am able to do what I love, which is practice veterinary medicine.
You heard it from Dr. Jack Bregman, founder of the Bregman Vet Group. Stop by any Bregman Vet Group location or visit www.BregmanVetGroup.com for more details on their veterinarian care. For a full list of locations, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment